Thursday, June 20, 2013

Review: Slammed

Slammed (Slammed, #1)Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Description:
Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.

Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.

My Thoughts:
OMG That is the first thing I have to say. I can honestly say that when I first picked up this book I did not think I would feel about it the way I feel right now.  I remember picking it up and reading the back and thinking, why did I request this from the library?  However, now I know why. I LOVE this book.  Actually, let me rephrase that I love this book series!  I haven’t felt quite this passionate about a book since I read Beautiful Disaster.  I could pick it up and read it again and again. In fact I just want to scream at you, why are you reading my review…go read the book!! J 

Okay, so why do I love this book so much you ask? Well, I must first tell you that this is not the typical kind of book that I have been reading lately. There is absolutely NO sex in it. At all. None.  Shocking?! I know!!  However, there isn’t a need for it!!  This book sucks you in like it’s a black hole and you never want to leave. 

Layken and Will are the main characters in this story, but Layken’s (Lake) brother Kel, mother Julia, and Will’s brother Caulder are very important parts of the story too. It has a bit of a Romeo and Juliet vibe to it, but doesn’t go to the extreme of their story.

The book is divided into two parts and is written in Lake’s point of view. In part one we meet everyone and get a feel for what is happening in his or her respected lives.  Lake is going through some pretty major changes in her young life and is pretty much shocked when Will enters her life.  To say he shakes things up is an understatement.  The two of them really connect going to a poetry slam, hence the name of the story.

This story had so many ups and downs that it was next to impossible to put it down. You kept reading hoping for things to improving and then shocked at what happened next. Part two really floored me and totally did me in. I will admit, I cried. More than once too.  It is a very emotional story and written in a way that the reader feels the pain right along with the characters. 

You reach the end and feel as though you must continue and thankfully you can! There is a second story to this series and I am so grateful that I didn’t discover this series until after all three books were published.  Waiting would have killed me!!  I know I haven’t told you very much about this story, but I am truly afraid of spoiling anything and don’t want to do that to you. All I can say is that it is worth the time to read and you should go get it immediately!  If you want to learn more and don’t mind things being spoiled, then please comment or email me! Please look for the next book, Point of Retreat for the review on book 2.

Rating:  ©©©©©

**Note:  The cover I have pictured is the same cover I read. However, there is a different cover out there now, I believe its the newest one, that has a picture of Layken on it. Don't let it fool you, its still the same great book!!**

No comments:

Post a Comment